January 8, 2012

Vacation time away...

The boys and I were given an opportunity to get away with a friend to a beautiful home along the Guadalupe river for a few days this past week and the time away was such a respite for us all.

The first day there, the ducks greeted us on the dock!  I'm sure they just wanted food!   It was a wonderful welcome!

There was fishing...

 A huge hammock to chill out in...

...and that was just the first day.

Tuesday morning, when I got up, there was a cloud over the river:


and frost...amazing!



There were lizards to catch, a quiet neighborhood to ride their bikes,  
lots of snacks to munch on, and of course they just HAD TO JUMP IN THE FREEZING COLD RIVER JUST ONCE!  That's all it took to wake them up...their comment:  "Boy, that was stupid!"








For the first time in their lives, they each learned how to sail a kayak.  Actually, we all learned! 



Isaac learned to canoe first and because he was in it with two others, he bragged that he was stronger than Caleb because he was in the front of the canoe and 'pulling three people!'






I didn't get into the kayak until the last day...I wasn't so sure I wanted to end up in the freezing water!  But I told myself to relax and just enjoy the journey.  After I talked to myself for a while, I began to enjoy the scenery. 

It was such a spectacular time making memories and enjoying God's creation.  I spied lots of different birds out there and captured a few...







I will always treasure moments like these. 
I saw a side of the boys that I haven't seen since we lived in the country: being free to enjoy nature and each other out-of-doors, playing pranks on mom and being tired out at the end of the day from rowing! 
I am so thankful to Daddy for His extravagant  love to us this past week while my Love is in Florida.  We all made memories!

No comments: